OUTreach, the UFCW constituency group for LGBTQ+ and allies, is offering five scholarships to our union members to attend the 2019 Creating Change Conference in Detroit, Michigan from January 23-27. Creating Change Conference is organized by the National LGBTQ Task Force. It is the foremost political, leadership and skills-building conference for thousands of committed people to develop and hone their skills and share victories. Scholarship recipients will learn from a broad range of social justice issues and develop skills to bring back to their workplaces and local unions. Past session topics include labor, gender equality, community organizing, criminal justice, immigration and more.
OUTreach Executive Board members have participated as one of the leading workshop presenters, putting our union, UFCW, as a key advocate for the working class and a key voice on labor issues at this conference. In a time where the labor movement and everything we have fought for is under attack, OUTreach’s dedication to organizing social and economic justice for all workers and ensuring full equality for LGBTQ+ workers at work and in their union reflects our union’s commitment to building a resilient working class that is not divided by hate.
Providing these scholarships to UFCW members is a crucial step in recruiting and developing our own rank-and-file leadership within our union and in the broader movement. It is with this vision in mind that OUTreach offers five scholarships to UFCW members to join our contingent at next year’s conference.
If you have any questions or want to learn more about OUTreach, please contact Michele Kessler at 610-513-9927 or Jean Tong at 213-590-7177.
OUTreach Scholarship Application
Details and Instructions
What: Creating Change Conference
When: January 23-27, 2019
Where: Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
- Conference Registration Fee
- Hotel and Meals
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Applicant must be an active UFCW member.
- Applicant must be able to take time off to attend the conference in its entirety.
- Arriving at the Marriott Renaissance Center in Detroit, MI, no later than 9am on January 23 and leaving the hotel no sooner than 12pm on January 27.
- Applicant must submit a short paragraph to answer the following:
- What does being a union member/activist/shop steward mean to you?
- Why are you interested in attending this conference, what do you hope to get from this experience?
- Please share an example of you standing up for yourself or others.
- Applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from his/her/their local union. (Please see attached form)
- Deadline to submit: Wednesday, November 7th 2018 to Michele Kessler at MKessler@ufcw1776.org and Jean Tong at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scholarship Announcement: Wednesday, November 21st 2018
To apply, download the application here: